Are you planning to build a house, but you are wondering if it is really necessary to call upon an architect? If yes, why? Here are some guidelines that may help you.
According to The Building and Land Use Permit Guide *, when you build a house in Mauritius exceeding an area of 150 m2, it is compulsory that drawings be designed and signed by a registered Professional Architect. Below, a designer will do.
Here are the expectations of individuals when they assign their project to an architect:
- Maximal service
- Achieve optimal quality
- Reduce the various costs
The advantages of using the services of an architect
- The architect will design a house, taking into account both your needs as well as the project’s constraints. For example, he will pay attention to sunshine, wind and the neighbourhood. He will draw a plan according to your budget, your desires and requirements of the land on which you will build your house. In short, he will reconcile your needs and the financial constraints to give life to a house just as pleasant to look at!
- The architect will help you to complete a number of tasks in the long administrative way to build the house of your dreams. This is the case for all procedures related for the plan to be submitted to CEB, CWA and the Waste Water Authority. Dealing frequently with employees of these services, the steps will be easier and faster.
- With an architect you will avoid unpleasant surprises that may occur... where you least expect it!
- You do not know any contractor to whom you will entrust the construction of the house? Ask your architect: he has a well-packed address book! He can therefore recommend a reliable contractor, with whom he used to work.
- Generally, interior design or landscaping does not form part of the basic services of an architect. However he can handle these aspects to help you, but keep in mind that this will incur additional charges.
Concerning prices, they depend on the area of the house to be built. You may think that services of an architect are expensive? However, it is worthwhile to contact an architect regarding the quality of service and future savings that this represents. Note: fees vary since the architect’s profession is liberal. It is up to you to negotiate the most favourable rates. We advise you to meet many architects and compare prices before taking any decision.